Friday, August 30, 2024

 


Final week of August 2024

It was another hot week here in central Texas. Good week to stay in during most of the day.  Out in the morning and evening to give our plants a drink, fill bird feeders, make sure the bird bath fountain has plenty of water as well as the other bird baths.

My lap top is in our bedroom at a window so I often get to sit and watch the birds at the feeders and in the fountain.   Having more activity at the hummingbird feeders. Galen took these pictures while we were sitting on the deck. The wings look red because of the reflection off the feeder.  These are black chin hummingbirds.

I got a big surprise this past Thursday when I sat down at my computer and looked out at the fountain.   A Coopers Hawk was sitting in it staying cool abd waiting for breakfast!  I took this picture through the shutters with my phone.

He stayed there for a little while then flew to the fence.  Galen was able to get a good picture then. First time in several years we had a Coopers here, it’s been mostly the larger Red Shoulder Hawks. He finally left and the birds were back at the feeders, fountain and bird baths.

I spent time sorting more project bins.  Found blocks that were started for a quilt using squares printed with various Texas themes.   The pattern no longer interested me so I ripped apart the blocks and saved the squares.  I have a pattern in mind.  There are 24 different squares and I have 2 sets plus a few extras.  This is a picture of a few squares.

I did finish the set of 6 Christmas placemats I began about a month ago.  Still need to back and quilt the runner but the placemats are done. It’s hard to see the quilting.   Did a diagonal following every couple of blocks.  Nothing fancy

We enjoy Mississippi Pot Roast.  I needed to use a pork tenderloin that I had taken out of the freezer.   Put it in the slow cooker except instead of using aus juice I had a seasoning packet for pork roast gravy.   Still used a packet of Ranch Dressing.  This time I used just a few pickled banana peppers but also 4 cubanelle peppers from our plant.  It was good. Galen shredded the left over pork and out the juice with it.  Will be good pulled pork sandwiches.

That about does it for us.  We should start seeing fewer triple degree days. We could really use some rain.  There have been some storms near by but not here. Our turn will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Last Week Happenings Started out the week getting our trees trimmed. Had a couple of dead branches that needed to come down plus getting s...