Wednesday, January 23, 2013

What's cooking- cream corn





I decided to try a Chinese recipe from my Fresh Chinese cook book that used cream corn.  We often ate creamed corn soup while living in Taiwan.  This recipe was Chicken and Creamed Corn Soup.  The one we ate over there mostly also had crab.
This is a very simple recipe
3 1/4 pints chicken stock ( I used smoked chicken stock I had in the freezer-thanks Judy)
1 can cream corn
1 can corn kernels, drained
1 cup finely shredded cooked chicken
1/2 tsp. white pepper
2 beaten eggs

Corn starch paste: 2 tsps. cornstarch mixed with 2 tblps. chicken stock

1. Bring stock to a boil in a large saucepan, add cream corn and drained corn kernels,  simmer for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the cooked chicken, bring to a boil. Season with white pepper and slowly stir in cornstarch paste.
3. Turn off heat. Stirring continuously with chopsticks, drizzle in beaten eggs.  Continous stirring with the chopsticks helps form the eggt into fine threads.
Serve immediately.
Recipe says serves 4
I served the soup with pineapple sambal ( a sweet spicy mix)

We both ate hearty portions and had plenty left over.  We ate this on Saturday.

Tonight ( Tuesday) I used what was left and made chicken corn noodle soup. Added a can of chicken broth, cut up some carrots, added a little onion and some wide egg noodles.  Over did it on the noodles-it ended up more stew than soup, but it was good.  If I would have had time I probably would have made rivels for it ( my PA Dutch background) but DH needed to be somewhere.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know what the climate is where you are living now, but where I am - it is cold, which means - soup season! Both versions look great! Cheers! Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're in Texas now, but enjoy soup when ever we have it! Balmy 70 degrees!

      Delete
  2. That all looks so good.. I love soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a good recipe to try! I love making soup in this cold weather we're having.

    ReplyDelete

  End of March 2024!   poodlegirls     cooking ,  Daily Happenings ,  Donation Quilting ,  Life at home ,  Nature ,  Our Girls ,  Quilting ,...