Wednesday, February 27, 2013

What's cooking-Cinnamon

This week we were to use any recipe that used cinnamon.  Once again I dug out my trusty Kleinfelter cook book.  I had seen my cousins recipe for Cinnamon Cake last week when looking for my aunts Fresh Strawberry pie recipe.

Makes a large dense cake
Serves 10-12

1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 cups granulated sugar
4 medium eggs(beaten)
2 Tsps. vanilla
2 Tsps. Baking powder
2 Tsps. Baking soda
4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sour cream

Nut mixture:
1 cup Walnuts or Pecans (chopped)
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 Tsp. cinnamon

Butter a 10" tube or bundt pan

Beat butter and 2 cups sugar in a very large bowl until fluffy.  Beat in the eggs and vanilla.  Mix baking powder, baking soda and flour.  Alternately add 1/2 dry ingredients and the sour cream to the butter mixture.  Mix well.  add remaining dry ingredients. Mix well. If the batter is too stiff add a few drops of milk.  For the nut mixture-mix all the ingredients in a small bowl.

Put 1/2 the nut mixture in the bottom of the pan.  Add 1/2 the batter.  Add remaining nut mixture, then the remaining batter.

Bake at 350* until wooden pick inserted comes out clean.  About 1 hour.  Cool on plate rack until warm.  Remove from pan-nut side up.  Store tightly covered for up to 2 days.

Note:  I used a bundt pan but followed Jan's original directions which were add 1/2 batter first.  Of course that meant when the cake was turned onto the plate the nuts were all on the bottom.  So in this photo you can not see the nut mixture.

We enjoyed the cake, sent 1/2 home with Dad and we kept the rest.

What did everyone else make with cinnamon?

3 comments:

  1. Ooo, that sounds YUMMY. Will hafta try next gathering I go to (if I make it, I will eat it since I'm here alone!!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good..I am going to have to try this one..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very fond of pound cakes - as they are so moist. This looks so good and knowing it has nuts - yum!! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

  End of March 2024!   poodlegirls     cooking ,  Daily Happenings ,  Donation Quilting ,  Life at home ,  Nature ,  Our Girls ,  Quilting ,...