Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What's Cooking-Berries

I decided to dig out the trusty Kleinfelter cookbook for this weeks challenge.  I remembered my aunts Fresh Strawberry Pie was there.

Makes 1-9" two crusted pie

1 quart Capped Strawberries
1 cup sugar
3 Tbsps. quick tapioca
1 Tblsp. Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tblsp. butter

Combine berries, tapioca, lemon juice and salt.  Let stand while making the pie crust.  Line a 9" pie plate with bottom crust, add filling. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust.  Brush lightly with a little milk.

Bake at 500* for 15 minutes-turn oven back to about 375* for 1/2 hour.
Refrigerate if you wish, but let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.

Yes, I cheated-I used Pillsbury Pie crusts this time! Made this Sunday and by Monday at noon the pie plate went in the dishwasher.

Not sure why I didn't think to make my strawberry/rhubarb pie recipe until this one was made.  I do have rhubarb in the freezer.  Don't see it very often in our Texas grocery stores and I usually have to educate the check out people.  Most have no clue. But when they have it in the spring of the year, I always get enough to freeze some for pies or rhubarb sauce.

What other goodies were made this past week

1 comment:

  End of March 2024!   poodlegirls     cooking ,  Daily Happenings ,  Donation Quilting ,  Life at home ,  Nature ,  Our Girls ,  Quilting ,...